(1) Content is a crucial as the comb-over. (smart trend)
ACTION: Identify your content marketing strategy.
- What’s your story…your expertise?
- Curate content (check out the Currents app)
- Create content (start an editorial list)
- Tell vs. Sell
(2) Focus on Facebook over your Website. (shiny object)
ACTION: Don’t neglect your website.
- Improve mobile accessibility.
- Make your site your professional hub online.
- Provide what your targets are looking for.
(3) Being a mobile agent means you ALWAYS operate in real-time. (shiny object)
ACTION: Know how to turn it on…and turn it off!
- Are you wifi enabled? Become a walking hotspot with a Mifi!
- Make it easy to work on the road…just not while driving. (That’s what Siri & Bluetooth are for!)
- Take the pledge! #itcanwait
- During meetings and meals, play the Phone Stack game.
(4) Social Media 1.0 was about REACH, whereas Social Media 2.0 is about COLLABORATION. (smart trend)
ACTION: Reach, Relate, Collaborate
- REACH: Post status updates on Facebook, articles to your blog, videos to your channel, tweet, etc.
- RELATE: Comment on your sphere’s photos, videos, status updates, etc. (FYI- “thanks for sharing” or “nice post” do not count)
- COLLABORATE: Get your clients & targets involved in your business. Support a cause, organize an event, donate your time, etc.
(5) If you’re not active on Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Get Glue and Empire Avenue…you’re not using Social Media effectively. (shiny object)
ACTION: Be where your targets prefer to communicate.
- Less is more. Choose wisely. (on average, people join 2.1 social networks)
- Dedicate 15 minutes in the AM, 15 minutes in the PM.
- Utilize a social dashboard like Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, or Dashter.
(6) You should always accept friend requests from douchbags you don’t know. (shiny object)
ACTION: Develop YOUR relationship protocol.
- Trim the fat…or the people you don’t REALLY know.
- Create guidelines for friend behaviors you accept & those you don’t.
- Connect w/ those you can learn from and relate to.
- Stick to your guns!
(7) Making lists on post-its everyday will make you more productive. (smart trend)
ACTION: Integrate a task management tool into your everyday workflow. (Post-its, Evernote, Salesforce, Infusion Soft)
- Choose your tool: Post-its, Evernote, Salesforce, Basecamp, Infusion Soft, Top Producer, etc.
- Make a new list everyday.
- Limit your list, don’t overtask yourself.
- Prioritize but give yourself one happy task to start!
- At then end of the day, make your list for tomorrow.
(8) Holding the iPad is all you really need to do to showoff your techy side. (shiny object)
ACTION: Demonstrate your ability to adapt and your technical expertise.
- Get your files in the cloud. (Dropbox or Box.net)
- Add your listing presentation.
- Add industry resources like RPR (Realtors Property Resource)
- Improve transaction fluidity with Dotloop.
(9) Checking and leaving tips using location based apps like Foursquare will showcase your local market knowledge. (smart trend)
ACTION: Become the local market expert.
- Give Foursquare a try, or check out Google Local!
- Checkin and leave tips for your favorite local businesses.
- Share photos and information people actually care about.
- Interview local businesses your targets may be interested in…share on your website.
(10) Trying on TECHNOLOGY is like buying a NEW pair of shoes. (smart trend)
ACTION: Break ‘em in…but if they don’t accessorize well with your business, find a better pair!
- Identify the business need it fills.
- Learn how to use it effectively.
- Assess it’s on-the-job functionality.
- Rock it, replace it, or return it!